Sidney “Booky” Thompson
MS Code 65-17-1 establishes the County Road Department, discusses the employment of a county road manager, and prescribes the duties and powers of the county road manager. All counties operating under the county-wide system of road administration, or unit system, are required to appoint a road manager and operate a centralized county-wide road department.
In unit system counties, the Board of Supervisors is required to adopt general policies concerning the administration of the county road department. Those policies and procedures are administered by the County Road Manager.
The Road Manager, subject to approval of the Board of Supervisors,
- Should be experienced and knowledgeable in the areas of construction and maintenance of roads and bridges
- May hire assistants and employees necessary to maintain the county road system.
- Has full supervision of personnel engaged in the work of the road department.
- Has the authority to purchase or lease the necessary equipment and materials for operation of the road department as long as it conforms with the county budget.
- Must comply with all central purchase laws and all purchases are subject to approval by the board.
The Board of Supervisors may supersede any decision made by the Road Manager by a majority vote. However, any change or modification of a decision should not constitute a breach of contract. The Road Manager can be removed from office at any time by a majority vote of the Board of Supervisors.